- This event has passed.
Practical Tools for Sustaining Transformative Racial Equity in Undergraduate Research Programs
October 18 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
In this CUR Online Intensive, participants will learn to center equitable pedagogical practices in undergraduate research mentoring and lead campus efforts toward anti-oppression, antiracism, and social justice in undergraduate research administration.
Facilitators: Buffie Longmire-Avital (Elon University), Sophie Pierszalowski (University of Washington), Jenny Olin Shanahan (Bridgewater State University)
The idea of anti-racism has received significant attention in higher education recently, as many faculty, staff, and administrators have sought to respond to national and campus calls for racial justice and decoloniality. Many of us have designed or changed curricula and pedagogies to dismantle structural racism in our institutions and academic disciplines. What does it mean to do that anti-racist, anti-oppression, and decolonial work in the context of undergraduate research? How do we overturn decades of individual biases and program policies that have reified privilege and white supremacist assumptions in undergraduate research and other high-impact opportunities?
This online intensive on mentoring for racial equity and justice is designed to address but also move well beyond “compositional diversity” in undergraduate research–a modest goal still unfulfilled in many programs–to the living out of anti-racism in our work with students and in leading programs. The three facilitators have created this online intensive with diversity and inclusion in mind, working from their own racial identities and positionalities, disciplinary backgrounds (STEM, social sciences, and humanities), and experiences in the work of decentering whiteness, mentoring for equity, and leading undergraduate research and other high-impact practices at different types of institutions.
Participants will have opportunities to collaborate with colleagues with similar degrees of experience in mentoring UR, directing UR programs, or serving in senior administration roles. Participants will leave the online workshop with a draft of an anti-racism plan for facilitating undergraduate research at the level of individual mentoring, directing an undergraduate research program, and/or leading broader institutional initiatives.
Available until October 17, 2023
**Want to take advantage of member registration rates? Join here before registering.
Looking to send multiple individuals from one institution?
Group rates are available for three or more individuals from the same institution. A 15% discount will be taken at the time of registration. Other discounts cannot be combined. To register, have the institutional contact log in and register as a group. Not seeing this option? Contact CUR@CUR.org.
Accepted forms of payment for registration:
Credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are all accepted.)
Check payment must be received by October 3, 2023.
Registration Cancellation and Substitution Policy:
CUR will honor cancellation requests and provide a refund, less a $50 processing fee, for all requests submitted in writing no later than September 18, 2023. No refunds will be permitted after September 18, 2023. Please submit cancellation requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Transfer of registration to another individual before the cancellation deadline is free of charge but subject to member classification charges due to differences in conference rates. Transfer of registration after the cancellation deadline will be charged a $50.00 transfer fee. Institutions may not substitute one participant for another without prior approval of the CUR National Office.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are there any requirements to attend this event? CUR membership is NOT required to participate, but you will need to create a CUR website account here to register.
- Where will this event take place? This event will be hosted online.
- What are the dates and times of this program? The program will take place on Wednesday, October 18, 2023 from 11:00 am-5:00 pm, ET.
- When is the deadline to register? Registration will close on October 17, 2023. Please contact CUR@CUR.org if you are having difficulty registering.
- What is the cost to attend? See the registration fee table above.
- What are the event-related policies and procedures? Please see CUR’s Event Policies and Procedures page for questions related to accepted payment types, registration cancellation policy, substitution policy, schedule and agenda changes, data and photo use, and code of conduct.
- Do I need to pay at the time I register? Yes. Payment is required at the time you register. If you are paying by check, please see our address in which to send your payment. Until payment is received, your registration is not complete.
- Will live sessions be recorded? Content sessions will be recorded and made available for at least three months post-event.
- When will the agenda be released? A draft agenda is available, but the final agenda will be released before the event.