- This event has passed.
Learn to Leverage Research and Creative Inquiry as a Career-Readiness Tool
September 22 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Facilitators: Jeanne Mekolichick, PhD, Associate Provost of Research, Faculty Success & Strategic Initiatives, Professor of Sociology, Radford University; Joe Wirgau, PhD, Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research & Scholarship (OURS) and Professor – Inorganic Chemistry, Radford University; and Leah Ellis, Research Assistant in the Translational Obesity Lab at Virginia Tech and Junior, Radford University
Description: Participants will learn to reframe how to present their undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative inquiry (URSCI) experiences in terms of transferable career readiness skills identified by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) as in demand by employers. The aim of these student-centered career readiness adjustments is to close the articulation gap between what students learn from their URSCI experiences and what recruiters, employers, legislators, and families seek from higher education.
- Become familiar with the NACE career readiness competencies and how to apply them to undergraduate research experiences (UREs).
- Acquire examples of how to apply the NACE career readiness competencies to UREs.
- Develop an action plan for infusing NACE career readiness language in your UREs.
Draft Agenda (Eastern Time):
- 11:00 AM—11:25 AM | Introductions and survey results
- 11:25 AM—11:45 PM | Introduction of NACE Career Readiness
- 11:50 AM—12:10 PM | Activity – Mapping exercise on how you develop career readiness skills with students
- 12:10 AM—12:30 PM | Report out
- 12:30 PM—1:00 PM | Meal break
- 1:00 PM—1:30 PM | Examples of how we have used NACE
- 1:30 PM—2:00 PM | Activity – how you could use it
- 2:00 PM—2:30 PM | Activity debrief and action plan
- 2:30 PM—3:00 PM | Work on action plans
- 3:00 PM—3:30 PM | Active/intentional break; Getting outside, taking a stroll, as is feasible
- 3:30 PM—4:00 PM | Spheres of influence for your plans
- 4:00 PM—4:30 PM | To be confirmed
- 4:30 PM—5:00 PM | Wrap up and Discussion of Action Plans
Available until September 21, 2023
*Want to take advantage of member registration rates? Join here before registering.
Looking to send multiple individuals from one institution?
Group rates are available for three or more individuals from the same institution. A 15% discount will be taken at the time of registration. Other discounts cannot be combined. To register, have the institutional contact log in and register as a group. Not seeing this option? Contact CUR@CUR.org.
Accepted forms of payment for registration:
Credit cards (VISA, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are all accepted.)
Check payment must be received by September 8, 2023.
Registration Cancellation and Substitution Policy:
CUR will honor cancellation requests and provide a refund, less a $50 processing fee, for all requests submitted in writing no later than August 22, 2023. No refunds will be permitted after August 22, 2023. Please submit cancellation requests in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Transfer of registration to another individual before the cancellation deadline is free of charge but subject to member classification charges due to differences in conference rates. Transfer of registration after the cancellation deadline will be charged a $50.00 transfer fee. Institutions may not substitute one participant for another without prior approval of the CUR National Office.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Are there any requirements to attend this event? CUR membership is NOT required to participate, but you will need to create a CUR website account here to register.
- Where will this event take place? This event will be hosted online.
- What are the dates and times of this program? The program will take place on Friday, September 22, 2023 from 11:00 am-5:00 pm, ET.
- When is the deadline to register? Registration will close on September 21, 2023. Please contact CUR@CUR.org if you are having difficulty registering.
- What is the cost to attend? See the registration fee table above.
- What are the event-related policies and procedures? Please see CUR’s Event Policies and Procedures page for questions related to accepted payment types, registration cancellation policy, substitution policy, schedule and agenda changes, data and photo use, and code of conduct.
- Do I need to pay at the time I register? Yes. Payment is required at the time you register. If you are paying by check, please see our address in which to send your payment. Until payment is received, your registration is not complete.
- Will live sessions be recorded? Content sessions will be recorded and made available for at least three months post-event.
- When will the agenda be released? A draft agenda is available, but the final agenda will be released before the event.
For additional questions and comments, please email CUR@CUR.org.
Look for additional events on CUR’s events page.