CUR holds a biennial Conference in even years. In these years the Annual Business Meeting immediately precedes the conference.
This conference brings together faculty, administrators, policy makers, representatives of funding agencies and other stakeholders with an interest in doing and promoting undergraduate research. It features over 100 workshops, presentations by representatives of funding agencies, social interactions, and poster presentations.
Historical Conference Information
The 2012 CUR Conference, "Leveraging Uncertainty: Toward a New Generation of Undergraduate Research," was held at The College of New Jersey, June 23-26, 2012. 564 attendees.
- Representative Rush Holt, (D, NJ-12)
- Edward Ayers, President, University of Richmond
- Candace Thille, Director of the Open Learning Initative (OLI), Carnegie Mellon University
- Dennis Smith & Amy Oaks, The College of William & Mary
- Kerry Karukstis, Professor of Chemistry, Harvey Mudd College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Joyce Kinkead, Professor of English, Utah State University -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2010 CUR Conference, "Undergraduate Research as Transformative Practice:
Developing Leaders and Solutions for a Better Society," was held at Weber State University, June 19-22, 2010. 496 attendees.
- Robert Full, Professor, University of California, Berkeley
- Gabrielle Foreman, Professor of English and American Studies, Occidental College
- Mary Alice Morgan, Director of Women's and Gender Studies and Senior Vice-Provost for Service Learning, Mercer University
- Thomas Goodwin, Professor of Chemistry, Hendrix College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Gilles Einstein, Professor of Psychology, Furman University -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2008 CUR Conference, "Frontiers and Challenges in Undergraduate Research," was held at College of Saint Benedict, June 21-24, 2008. 612 attendees.
- Isiah Warner, Philip W. West Professor of Analytical and Environmental Chemistry & Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initatives, Louisiana State University
- Jennifer Blackmer, Assistant Professor, Ball State University
- Paul Apostolidis, Judge and Mrs. Timothy A. Paul Chair of Political Science, Whitman College
- Paula Dehn, Professor and Chair of Biology, Canisius College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- John Gupton, Professor of Chemistry, University of Richmond -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2006 CUR Conference, "Learning Through Research: Dynamic Faculty, Students and Institutions," was held at DePauw University, June 24-27, 2006. 512 attendees.
- Patricia Gover, Co-Director, National Science Foundation's Decision Center for a Desert City, International Institute for Sustainability, Arizona State University
- L. Dee Fink, Former Director, Instructional Development Program, University of Oklahoma
- Plenary Panel: "Partnerships to Advance Undergraduate Research: Using Organizational Initiatives to Influence Institutional Agenda
- Carol Geary Schneider, President, Association of American Colleges and Universities
- George Mehaffy, Vice President for Academic Leadership and Change, American Association of State Colleges and Universities
- Elizabeth Hollander, Executive Director, Campus Compact
- Jillian Kinzie, Associate Director of the NSSE Institute for Effective Educational Practice at the Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research
- John Mateja, URSA/McNair Programs, Murray State University -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Nancy Mills, Professor of Chemistry, Trinity University -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2004 CUR Conference, "Crossing Boundaries: Innovations in Undergraduate Research," was held at University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, June 23-26, 2004. 629 attendees.
- Cora Marrett, University of Wisconsin System
- Carlos Gutierrez, California State University, Los Angeles
- Jill Schneiderman, Vassar College
- Mark Weaver, The College of Wooster
- Alanah Fitch, Loyola University of Chicago
- Ray Turner, Roxbury Community College
- Jerry Mohrig, Carleton College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Andrea Halpern, Bucknell University -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2002 CUR Conference, "Undergraduate Research for All," was held at Connecticut College, June 20-22, 2002. 580 attendees.
- James Lightbourne, Acting Division Director, Division of Graduate Education, Education and Human Resources, National Science Foundation
- Federal Agency Panel on Research Responsibility:
- Kay Fields, Public Health Service Fellow, Office of Research Integrity, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Jim Kroll, Office of the Inspector General, National Science Foundation
- Panel: NSF Undergraduate Education Programs
- Jill Singer, Program Director, Geosciences, EHR/DUE, National Science Foundation
- Duncan McBride, Section Head, Physics & Astronomy, EHR/DUE, National Science Foundation
- Panel: Assessing Institutional Environments for Undergraduate Research Learning
- John Hayek, Indiana University - Bloomington, National Survey of Student Engagement
- Patrick McDonald, New College of Florida, CUR's Online Undergraduate Research Directory
- Jim Gentile, Hope College, The Academic Excellence Project
- Jospeh Gallian, University of Minnesota - Duluth -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Thomas Wenzel, Bates College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 2000 CUR Conference, "The Many Facets of Undergraduate Research," was held at The College of Wooster, June 19-22, 2000. 568 attendees.
- R. Stanton Hales, President, The College of Wooster
- Cathryn Manduca, Coordinator DLESE, Carleton College
- John Hunt, Deputy Assistant Director for Integrative Activities, Directorate for Education and Human Resources, National Science Foundation
- David Benzing, Oberlin College
- Mary Allen, Wellesley College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
- Julio Ramirez, Davidson College -- CUR Fellows Awardee
The 1998 CUR Conference, "Creating Undergraduate Research Opportunities in Changing Communities,"was held at Occidental College, June 25-28, 1998. 356 attendees.
- Richard Zare, Department of Chemistry, Stanford University and Past President of National Science Board
- Norman Fortenberry, Director, Division of Undergraduate Research, National Science Foundation
- Blenda Wilson, President, California State University-Northridge
- Plenary Debate: "Shaping the Future: Issues and Agenda for Undergraduate Research"
- R. Stanton Hales, President, The College of Wooster
- Michael Nelson, Dean of Science, Truman State University
- Linda Mantel, President, Association of Women in Science
The 1996 CUR Conference, "Enriching Science Through Partnerships with Academics, Industry and Government," was held at North Carolina Central University, June 27-29, 1996. 589 attendees.
- Julius Chambers, Chancellor, North Carolina Central University
- Hazel O'Leary, Secretary to U.S. Department of Energy
- David Goodstein, Provost, California Institute of Technology
- Plenary Panel: Developing the Next Generation of American Entrepreneurs through Partnerships
- Erich Bloch, Council on Competitiveness
- Michael Doyle, Trinity University
- Linda Marvin, Lockheed Environmental Systems & Technologies Company
- Luther Williams, National Science Foundation
- NSF Plenary Report: Improving Undergraduate Science and Mathematics Education: REcommendations from a Joint NSF-NRC Review
- Robert Watson, Director, NSF Division of Undergraduate Education
- Melvin George, Chair NSF Review Committee
The 1994 CUR Conference, "The Bottom Line: Creating and Maintaining a Healthy Undergraduate Research Environment," was held at Bates College, June 23-25, 1994. 655 attendees.
The 1992 CUR Conference, "The Research Friendly Curriculum," was held at Hope College, June 11-13, 1992. 393 attendees.
The 1990 CUR Conference, "The Role of Undergraduate Research in Science Education: Building and Funding a Successful Program," was held at Trinity University, June 28-30, 1990. 279 attendees.
The 1988 CUR Conference, "Undergraduate Research -- Funding, Operation and Role in Faculty Recruiting," was held at Carleton College, July 13-14, 1988. 421 attendees.
The 1985 CUR Conference, "The Educating of Scientists: The Role and Funding of Research at Undergraduate Institutions," was held at Colgate University, July 24-25, 1985. 285 attendees.
Place a Bid to host a future CUR Conference