CUR has adopted five strategic pillars to aid the organization in planning and envisioning the future of undergraduate research. These pillars focus on areas that the General Council has deemed most important to the mission of the organization and are the following:
- Integrating and Building Undergraduate Research into Curriculum and Coursework: Focusing on building curriculum that is both research-based and supports undergraduate research as an outcome of curriculum.
- Assessment of the Impact of Undergraduate Research: Examines the outcomes of undergraduate research on students, faculty, curriculum, and institutions.
- Diversity and Inclusion in Undergraduate Research: Offers undergraduate research to a wider audience of undergraduates, faculty, and institutions to increase the diversity of participants, particularly from underrepresented groups and institutions.
- Innovation and Collaboration in Undergraduate Research: Expanding undergraduate research opportunities beyond academic institutions to research collaborations with business and nonprofit organizations as well as between higher education institutions.
- Internationalization and Undergraduate Research: Expanding the opportunities for research exchanges, research collaboration, and field research in international settings.