Divisions - Social Sciences Undergraduate Conference Awards
The Social Sciences Division of the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) is offering a limited number of grants, up to $200 each, for undergraduate students presenting the results of research that they have conducted at a regional or national, discipline-specific meeting (in person or virtually) during the academic year 2021-2022. In addition, two awards will be set aside for students attending an international conference. If they are not used, they will be given to students on the waiting list.
- Undergraduate students at any level can apply, but preference will be given to students attending two-year community colleges, and third- and fourth-year undergraduates.
- Either the student’s mentor must be a CUR member, or the student’s home institution must be a CUR institutional member.
- Student must be engaged in research in the social sciences, defined by the Economic and Social Research Council as research concerned with the "study of society and the manner in which people behave and influence the world around us" and utilizing empirical, quantitative, and/or qualitative methods.
- Minority students are encouraged to apply.
- The student's home institution is not required but is highly encouraged to match funds.
- Awards for group projects will be awarded to the primary author and are expected to be shared among all the group members.
- An electronic copy of the meeting abstract, including the title of the abstract, student author, faculty mentor, and institution. If the abstract is written in highly technical terms, the applicant may also submit a brief (maximum 500 words) summary of the work written for an audience consisting of social scientists from a wide range of disciplines. The abstract should note the study’s objective, methods, results, and importance.
- Proof of acceptance to the discipline-specific meeting.
- A list of itemized meeting expenses (such as travel, housing, and registration).
- An email from sponsoring faculty acknowledging (1) student’s enrollment as an undergraduate, (2) confirmation of student’s acceptance to conference, (3) confirmation of CUR individual/institutional membership, and (4) confirmation of institution's matching funds (if applicable).
Acceptance and confirmation letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award recipients presenting at a conference during the 2021-2022 academic year will be selected on a first-come, first-served basis provided that the above criteria are met. Only one award will be granted per institution. Every effort will be made to spread the awards over both the fall and spring semesters.
Award recipients are required to acknowledge CUR in their talk or poster. After the meeting, the student is expected to submit a brief report about the experience (including a photo, if possible), which will be used for media releases.