Divisions - Physics and Astronomy - Nadine Barlow Undergraduate Research Support Award
In memory of CURPA Councilor Nadine Barlow, a limited number of Undergraduate Research Support Awards (URSA), with a maximum amount of $500 each, will be offered to help undergraduates (1) conduct faculty-mentored research, (2) present their research at national conferences, or (3) publish their research in peer-reviewed journals.
Requested funds can cover:
- Conference registration and/or travel
- Publication fees
- Research supplies
- Student research stipends
Deadlines for AY 2020-21 submissions are:
October 30, 2020
January 15, 2021
April 9, 2021
- Applicants must be undergraduate students pursuing a physics-related major at the time of the application
- Applicants must be enrolled at an institution that has a CUR membership or have a faculty research advisor who is a CUR member
- Applications must be accompanied by a Support Letter from the applicant’s faculty research mentor.
- Preference will be given to:
- Applicants that have a commitment from their institution for matching funds (this should be verified in the support letter from his/her advisor)
- Applicants from groups typically underrepresented in physics
- Applicants who have not previously received a CURPA URSA
To apply for a CURPA URSA:
- Complete the online application form that includes:
- Applicant and mentor personal information
- An abstract describing the research the applicant will be conducting and/or disseminating
- An itemized budget and justification for the requested amount (up to $500)
- A description of matching funds the applicant will receive from his/her institution (not required but encouraged)
- A Motivation Statement (500 words or less) describing why the applicant is seeking an URSA and how s/he will benefit from the experience
- Request a Support Letter from your faculty research advisor. The advisor letter should address: (1) the research abilities of the applicant, (2) the benefits of the research experience to the student, and (3) the amount that the institution is matching to support the student. Support Letters will be kept confidential and should be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the file name formatted as ‘ApplicantLastName_Letter_AdvisorInitials’
Award Limits and Requirements
- Only one URSA application per research project will be considered.
- A student may only receive one URSA per academic year
- Each awardee can receive up to $500 depending on the budget submitted and the available funds.
- Awardees are required to acknowledge the URSA in any poster/talk/paper that results from the funding.
- Within 90 days of the receiving the URSA, awardees must submit the following:
- copy of poster/talk/paper that the funding supported
- description of experience (250 words or less)
- Photo or graphical image for the CURPA Newsletter with a caption and credit