Divisions - Biology Student Travel Awards
The Biology Division of the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) is offering a limited number of travel grants, up to $250 each, for undergraduate students presenting original biological research results at a regional or national, discipline-specific meeting* during the fiscal year 2019-2020. Award recipients are required to acknowledge CUR for support of their travel in their talk or poster, to complete a short online survey about their meeting experience, and to submit a PDF file of their poster. Students from all diverse backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
- Student must be an undergraduate student at either a two- or four-year institution. If the student is a graduating fourth-year student, travel must be completed within three months of graduation.
- Student’s mentor must be a CUR member, or the student’s home institution must be a CUR institutional member
- Student must attend a discipline-specific meeting or a meeting focused on underrepresented populations such as SACNAS, ABRCMS, or AISES.
- The electronic application form must be completed by a nominating faculty mentor.
- Travel grants of $250 will be issued to each student and will require confirmation of student's attendance/presentation at the meeting.
Selection Criteria: Travel award recipients will be chosen based on the scholarly merit of their abstract, which should include:
- A sentence that clearly states the study’s OBJECTIVE (unless included in the title);
- A brief statement of METHODS (if pertinent);
- A summary of the RESULTS;
- A statement of CONCLUSIONS (it is not acceptable to state "the results will be discussed");
- A statement of SIGNIFICANCE.
Deadline: Applications must be received by 5:00 pm ET October 15, 2019, for meetings held between October 15, 2019, and February 15, 2020, or by 5:00 pm ET January 13, 2020, for meetings held between February 13 and May 15, 2020.** Applicants will be notified four to six weeks following the application deadline.
* Tri-Beta, Sigma Xi, and NCUR are not considered to be discipline-specific meetings for this travel award. However, biological abstracts submitted to SACNAS, ABRCMS, AISES, or another meeting focused on underrepresented populations as approved by the STA committee will be considered for an award. Although the CUR Biology Division truly appreciates the value of such meetings to the educational experience of undergraduates, the division chooses to use its limited funds for this award to help undergraduates attend a discipline-specific meeting so that they may interact with primary researchers within that discipline.
**Due to the timing of the CUR fiscal year, the division is unable to award funds to attend meetings held between May 15 and September 30.