Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Symposium 2021
October 25, 2021 | Virtual
This symposium features lightning talk presentations by students from Research Experiences for Undergraduates programs (REUs) in all disciplines funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), a practical skills tips session for students, and an informal networking hour.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in a practical skills tip session
- Network with peers and faculty with similar research interests and professional goals
- Present their research via a lightning talk to program officers, faculty members, and each other
Faculty will have the opportunity to:
- Network with peers with similar research interests and professional goals
- Support student researchers from your institution and others as they present and attend the program
|Monday, October 25, 2021
|11:00 AM - 12:00 PM ET
||Welcome and Soft Skills Tips Session
|1:00 - 3:00 PM ET
||Student Presentations - Lightning Talks
|3:15 - 4:15 PM ET
|Abstract Submission Deadline |
|September 7, 2021
|Abstracts Under Review
||September 9 - 24, 2021
|Abstract Submission Notifications Sent
||September 29, 2021
||September 29, 2021
||October 15, 2021
Ends October 15, 2021
*Only accepted students need to register. Faculty mentors and guests are welcome to attend for no additional charge.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Are there any requirements to attend this event?
- Participation in a REU funded by NSF. CUR membership is NOT required to apply. The student and nominator will need to create a free CUR website account here.
- Are there any specific abstract submission requirements?
- A mentor and/or PI may nominate students from their REU site and complete the submission abstract form. A student abstract describing the research is required for each nominated student. A letter of recommendation from the mentor/PI is also required. Other application questions pertain to the particular REU site and the student nominee's previous presentation experience.
- What are the student lightning talks?
- The student lightning talks are 3-5 minute oral presentations of their research synopsis in which a student can use, and is encouraged, but not required, visual representation to assist in their presentation. Visual representation includes a virtual poster image or a PowerPoint Presentation. If a student wishes to use a visual aide, they are responsible for providing the final product of such.
- What is the deadline to send in submissions?
- Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET
- Will this event be held as a virtual, hybrid, or in-person event?
- What are the dates/times of the program?
- Monday, October 25, 2021 from 11:00 AM - 4:15 PM ET
- What is the deadline to register and book in the group housing block?
- The registration and housing deadline is Friday, October 15, 2021
- What is the cost to attend?
- $50 per accepted student. Faculty mentors and guests are welcome to attend for no additional charge.
- What are the event related policies and procedures?
- Please see CURs Event Policies and Procedures page for questions related to accepted payment types, registration cancellation policy, substitution policy, schedule and agenda changes, data and photo use, and code of conduct.
COVID-19 Statement: (Updated 8/19/2021)
Due to the evolving nature of COVID-19 resulting in increased levels of community spread of the Delta variant, NSF office status updates, campus travel restrictions, and a responsibility for ensuring a safe and healthy environment, CUR has decided to run this program as a virtual offering for 2021. If you have additional questions on these guidelines, please contact CUR@CUR.org.
For questions, event information, etc. please email events@CUR.org.
Please review our Events Policies and Procedures.