President-Elect Nominations - Fall 2020
The Council on Undergraduate Research seeks nominees for President-Elect and chair of the CUR Executive Board. The Executive Board meets monthly through webinars and teleconferences, in-person twice annually, and also engages regularly via virtual means between meetings. The Executive Board has fiduciary responsibility for CUR, and sets and implements strategic directions to advance the organization. The President-Elect is a member of the CUR Presidents' Group, which meets weekly with CUR's Executive Officer to guide and oversee implementation of CUR's Strategic Plan and business activities.
All nominees must be CUR members at the time of their nomination and, if elected, must remain members throughout their term.
Nominations are due November 15, 2020.
- The nominations submission is a self-nomination. If you would like to recommend individuals to be considered, please refer them to this page or send their contact information to Karen Lee, chair of the Nominations Vetting Committee.
- Ensure your membership is current. The membership requirement can be either through a paid individual membership or as a representative on an institutional or enhanced membership.
- Review your membership profile for accuracy and completion.
- Submit the biographical information via the online form. If you are selected as a candidate, this information will appear on the ballot. You may save your submission and come back at any time to complete it. Partial submissions will not be reviewed. Please be sure to submit your nomination by 11:59pm EST, November 15, 2020.
Vetting and Election Process:
- The Nominations Vetting Committee will vet all nominees and submit recommendations for candidates to appear on the ballot to the Nominations Committee by January 19, 2021.
- Accepted nominations will appear on a ballot that will be sent to the General Council in February 2021. Ballots must be cast by March 9, 2021.
- All candidates will be notified of their election status by late March.
Candidates for President-Elect should be very familiar with current Council business and must have completed at least one three-year term as a Councilor. Candidates should have prior service as division chair, as an officer on the Executive Board, or have had other leadership roles within CUR that have provided a broad perspective on the organization. Candidates should be familiar with and prepared to provide leadership on CUR's strategic plan and goal areas. Prior service on other nonprofit boards is a plus. Well-developed public speaking ability is helpful, given numerous public speaking obligations of the president. President-Elect candidates should have support from their home institutions for the time and effort required for regular meetings and events, and other issues as they arise throughout their term as CUR President. The successful candidate will serve as President-Elect in 2021-2022, President in 2022-2023, and Immediate Past President in 2023-2024, with terms starting and ending at the conclusion of the Annual Business Meeting. Candidates may NOT be members of the Nominations Committee or the Nominations Vetting Committee.
Application materials include the following:
- An abbreviated CV - no more than 6 pages that highlights professional accomplishments with respect to undergraduate research;
- A description of your leadership experience both within CUR and extramural and how they qualify you to serve as CUR President-Elect (1-2 pages);
- A description of your vision and plans for implementation of CUR's new Strategic Plan if you were elected.
Submit a Self-Nomination
< Back to Home Page | < Back to News Page