Visual Arts Presentations
Visual Arts Presentation and Exhibition Guidelines
Visual Arts presenters will exhibit their work in The Melton Gallery, which is located in the UCO Art Building. Presenters may display one to two works of art, depending on size and selection by the committee.
In addition to the exhibition, all Visual Arts presenters will also deliver an Oral Presentation on their research and process related to the works in the exhibition and beyond. The format will be a 15-minute lecture accompanied by slides of images. Visual Arts presentations will also occur in oral presentation buildings (TBD). The Visual Arts presentation room has the same AV equipment as oral presentation rooms. (See guidelines under Oral Presentations.)
Artwork Submission Guidelines
- Work cannot include live organic material, candles, or open flames.
- Work cannot exceed 120 inches in height (10 feet) when installed and must be able to clear the front entrance of ACB (60 X 76 inches).
- In your abstract, please provide the title, date, dimensions, and medium of each artwork submission as well as a summary of your research.
- When submitting your abstract, visual Arts presenters are required to upload three examples of work. For works in progress, you may substitute images of the work being submitted with images of past works that are representative of the artwork to be exhibited at NCUR 2018.
Artwork Delivery and Shipping Instructions
- Artwork must be commercially shipped via FedEx or UPS, or hand-delivered by the student. If you cannot hand-deliver your work by 9 am on Thursday, April 5, 2018, you must commercially ship your work in advance.
- Commercially shipped artwork must be received between March 20-31, 2018.
- Hand-delivered artwork must be delivered to the Melton Gallery between 4 PM and 6 PM, Wednesday April 4, or between 8 AM and 9:30 AM, Thursday, April 5. Presenters can receive assistance in delivering their artwork to the gallery by notifying the NCUR staff in the Registration area.
- Presenters are responsible for the packing and shipment/delivery of their artwork to NCUR 2018, and any associated costs. We strongly suggest that presenters insure their shipment, as NCUR and the University of Central Oklahoma are not responsible for any damages in the shipment/delivery of items to and from the NCUR 2018 conference.
- If shipping work accepted for presentation, you must ship via UPS or FEDEX to:
NCUR 2018 - UCO - [Your Name]
50 North University Drive, Suite 146
Edmond, Oklahoma 73034
- Work accepted in the visual arts must be shipped in a reusable container. For ease of unpacking, do not use wooden crates unless Phillips head screws are used. Please do not use Styrofoam peanuts; use only bubble wrap or Styrofoam sheets for packing.
- If you must ship in multiple cartons, label cartons separately. Example: 1 of 4, 2 of 4, 3 of 4, etc. Any special installation instructions or hardware must be included with the artwork in the shipping container.
- Oil and acrylic paintings on canvas must be mounted on stretcher bars and framed when possible. Drawings, photographs and prints must be framed using Plexiglas only. Do not ship any artwork framed with glass.
- All hanging hardware (wire, eye hooks, etc.) must be in place on the artwork upon receipt. Do not use eZ, ready-made, or poster frames on artworks. Use standard metal moldings with snap, screw, or euro hangers with spring clips and wire for hanging or standard wood moldings with screw eyes and wire for hanging. Please attempt to test your hanging hardware to ensure the stability of your artwork(s) before shipping.
- Identification tags or labels must be attached to the back of each artwork with the following information: presenter’s name, address, phone number, title, date, and medium of the artwork. Presenters with multiple artworks must indicate entry (#1, #2) both on the identification tag and the shipping container.
- If installation/hanging hardware is considered unsafe for public display, or the artwork is not ready for public display (damaged, scratched, dirty) the artwork will not be included in exhibition.
Unpacking and Displaying Artwork:
- Presenters will be responsible for the unpacking and assembling of their own artwork. Shipped artwork can be picked up at the R.K. Black Office on the first floor of the Nigh University Center, Suite 146.
- Melton Gallery staff will be responsible for placement and installation of artwork.
- For complex, installation-based work, students must contact Charleen Weidell, ahead of time through email: email@example.com.
- All accepted artwork must remain on display until 4 pm on Friday, April 6. Artwork must be retrieved from the Melton Gallery between 4 PM and 6 PM on Friday, April 6 or between 9 AM and -11 AM on Saturday, April 7.
Artwork Return Shipping:
- Presenters are responsible for repacking their artwork and preparing their package for shipping. Melton Gallery staff will be present in the gallery to assist with repacking.
- Presenters are responsible for payment of return shipping.
- A prepaid shipping label from FedEx or UPS is required to ship returning artwork and other items back. Shipments with prepaid FedEx or UPS labels will be shipped from the University of Central Oklahoma by Thursday, April 12, 2018.
NCUR offers an opportunity for participants to observe, learn, and practice professional etiquette common to all disciplines. Presenters should remain in the room until all presentations in their sessions are complete. The other presentations may offer new insights, and all presenters deserve the same audience and respect. Spectators to sessions should enter and exit session rooms between (not during) presentations.