NCUR 2018 Pre-Conference Workshops
Wednesday, April 4th - begins at 1 p.m.
Overview of NCUR 2018 Pre-Conference Workshops
New to NCUR 2018 is a first-ever free Pre-Conference Workshops opportunity for students to explore the theme, “Connection to Place,” through more than 50 sessions across five interdisciplinary Pre-Conference Tracks! The Pre-Conference fun begins on Wednesday, April 4th at 1 p.m. with interactions, speakers, networking, food, activities, and giveaways that you do not want to miss!
At the Pre-Conference Workshops Welcome & Kick-off, you’ll enjoy an interactive panel discussion and live art show with featured artist Mr. Bunky Echo-Hawk, who performs in venues all over the country.
You can register to attend one of five Pre-Conference Workshops Tracks. And you’ll need to hurry since attendance by Track is available on a first-come, first-served basis! View the website information provided, and register to participate in one of the following Tracks:
Description of NCUR 2018 Pre-Conference Workshops Interdisciplinary Tracks
The five Interdisciplinary Tracks to choose from are below. Click on title for detailed information:
American Indian Studies
– This track provides students an opportunity to connect interdisciplinary academic and culturally diverse lived experiences. Three concurrent sessions, focusing on Biological Sciences, Fine and Performing Arts, and Health and Wellness, allow students to collaborate with tribal leaders, public officials, private sector professionals, community leaders, and educators in an interactive learning environment. A fourth session convenes all participants in order to synthesize track knowledges and outcomes.
Business Energy Sector
– This track introduces student participants to the new development in the energy sector including oil and gas, electricity and renewable energies. In the last 20 years, significant development in technology and policies have changed the energy landscape in the United States and in the world. The boom in the U.S. energy sector has contributed significantly to the U.S. economy, and it also has become a major source of employment for college graduates.
Early Childhood Education through an International Lens
– This track begins with a Welsh scholar discussing the interdisciplinary nature of play, gender differences young children exhibit while they play, and careers involved in advocating for children’s well-being through providing safe, adequate opportunities for play. Participants will discuss child trafficking, public policy involving young children, children who have experienced trauma, and the shortage of workers in early childhood.
– This track focuses on providing participants with a fundamental understanding of the methods that are used within the fields of digital, impression and biological forensic science. Each session will provide an overview of the discipline and then allow for hands-on instruction. Participants will be able to perform the following forensic tasks: lift fingerprints, analyze a DNA profile, recover deleted files, compare cartridge casings, analyze blood, and compare tire impressions.
– This track will provide participants with an intensive hands-on experience of creativity. The goal is for participants to collaborate on the conference theme of “place” culminating in an informal performance at the end of the day. The focus will be placed on how artists from many disciplines are able to create together despite having different approaches. The integration of artists working towards a common goal should provide an energizing beginning to the 2018 NCUR Conference. The participants may come from any discipline in the arts including dance, art, film, theatre, creative writing and music. This track has four focuses.
- Interdisciplinary Arts Track – “Film” Focus
- Interdisciplinary Arts Track – “Creative Writing” Focus
- Interdisciplinary Arts Track – “Dance” Focus
- Interdisciplinary Arts Track – “Music” Focus
Note: Participants in this track should dress in loose clothing and be prepared for movement.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Jeanetta D. Sims, NCUR 2018 Pre-Conference Workshops Committee Chair, at: email@example.com .
We look forward to hosting you for a unique