Council on Undergraduate Research
Social Sciences Division
Student Travel Awards Announcement
2011 - 2012
The Social Sciences Division of the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) is offering a limited number of travel grants, up to $200 each, for undergraduate students presenting the results of research that they have conducted at a regional or national, discipline-specific meeting during the fiscal year 2011 - 2012. Award recipients are required to acknowledge CUR for support of their travel in their talk or poster. After the meeting, a brief report about the experience is expected. Minority students are encouraged to apply.
- Undergraduate student must be a junior or senior.
- Student’s mentor must be a CUR member or the student’s home institution must be a CUR institutional member
- Student’s home institution must match the $200 CUR travel grant.
- An electronic copy of the meeting abstract, including the title of the abstract, student authors, faculty mentor, and institution. If the abstract is written in highly technical terms the applicant may also submit a brief (maximum 500 words) summary of the work written for an audience consisting of social scientists from a wide range of disciplines. The abstract should note the study’s objective, methods, results and importance.
- Proof of acceptance to the regional or national meeting.
- A List of itemized meeting expenses (travel, housing, and registration).
- An email from sponsoring faculty acknowledging (1) student’s junior or senior class status, (2) confirmation of student's planned attendance at the meeting, (3) confirmation of institution's monetary match of $200, and (4) confirmation of individual or institutional CUR membership.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses (up to $200) will require copies of receipts and confirmation of student's attendance/presentation at the meeting.
Selection Criteria: Travel Award recipients will be selected on a first come, first serve basis provided that the above criteria are met. Only one travel award will be granted per institution.
Deadline: Applications for a travel grant to a fall 2011 or spring 2012 meeting are now being accepted. Award decisions will be made on a first come, first serve basis.
Send Application Materials:
by email to email@example.com
and fax receipts (only)
to James LaPlant at Valdosta State University 229-333-7389.