Undergraduate Research in the Social Sciences Institute
Next Offering: March 4-6, 2016—Mesa Community College, Mesa AZ
Application Deadline: January 31, 2016
Applications for campus-based teams of three to six members are now available.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
This tenth iteration of the Social Sciences Institute will help your school develop transformative opportunities for undergraduate research in the social sciences. As in years past, we stand prepared to facilitate teams’ work with a broad range of institution-specific challenges and opportunities; however, this year’s workshops and plenaries will have a special focus on research and scholarly activities within the early college curriculum to help you bring students in general education and introductory courses into practices of inquiry and investigation.
Workshops will include:
- Scaffolding students’ skills through early-career undergraduate research;
- Using high-quality, pre-existing datasets in social science courses;
- Developing collaborations across disciplines, across departments, and across co-curricular and non-curricular offices on your campus;
- Developing partnerships with external groups to extend “service learning” into “service investigation;”
- Teaching and mentoring first-generation and underrepresented students;
- Navigating research-based curricula within the context of incoming and outbound transfer students;
- Making undergraduate research visible as a part of campus culture; and
- Developing funding models for curricular interventions in non-research-intensive schools.
Over the course of three days, the teams will receive a broad array of information and UR models that they can employ directly or with modification on their own campuses. But the most important part of the Institute is the time that your team will work under close, supportive facilitation to develop an action plan. Your team will return home with a specific, contextual work plan that names steps, partners, and allies to strengthen undergraduate research in the social sciences at your school.
What Your Team Will Experience at the Social Science Institute:
- Exposure to models and best practices of undergraduate research in the social sciences, including faculty recruitment and development, curricular models, funding resources, and assessment methods;
- Extensive discussion of methods for making scholarly investigation a “normal” part of your campus’ culture, available to more than just the honors students;
- Inspiring and innovative models of undergraduate research: community-based research, strategic consulting research centers, internal research support for your campus’ own initiatives (student health, energy conservation, statistical analysis—the possibilities are almost endless);
- Plenty of focused time to work with your facilitator on developing specific, contextual, and achievable work plans; and
- The camaraderie and community wisdom of intelligent, like-minded colleagues from other schools
Teams typically consist of at least one academic administrator, one or more department chairs, and several interested faculty members. Questions on application and event logistics may be addressed to the CUR National Office (email@example.com or 202-783-4810x204). Questions on the content of the institute and its possibilities for your school may be addressed to institute coordinator Herb Childress (firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-235-2093). Enrollment is limited so apply early.
Application Fee: $50.00, due with application
Institute Tuition and Fees:
Enhanced Member: $675/person
Individual Member: $825/person
An application fee of $50.00 for each proposed team member is due at the time of application. Should you be accepted to attend the Institute, your application fee will be applied to your tuition fees. In the event that CUR does not accept your application, the application fee will be refunded. Should you withdraw your application or elect not to participate in the Institute, the application fee will be forfeited. In the event that team members are changed, the application fee will be transferred. Should a team member drop out, however, their application fee will be forfeited."
Upon notification of acceptance, CUR will invoice your institution for the amount of $675 per accepted participant (CUR Enhanced Members), $750 (CUR Institutional Members), $825 (CUR Individual member) or $925 (non-CUR Institutional Members). If you are not sure whether your school is an institutional member please refer to the list of institutional members by clicking here or contact CUR's Membership Coordinator. A $50.00 credit will appear on your invoice for any application fees received. The registration fee includes all sessions, materials, and most meals Teams are responsible for booking their own rooms at the host hotel.
To guarantee that a place is held, payment for the institute must be received in the National Office by this date, unless prior arrangements are made with the National Office. Participants that have not paid may be dropped from registration, unless payment arrangements have been made with the National Office. In the event that a participant is dropped from registration, the application fee will not be refunded.
Should your team need to cancel or any individual member of the team cancel, the National Office must receive written notice of the cancellation thirty calendar days prior to the start of the Institute. In the event of a cancellation application fees will not be refunded. Cancellations received before the cancellation date will not be held responsible for registration fees, however the application fee will not be refunded. Participants canceling after this date will be responsible for the full registration fee. Institutions may not substitute one participant for another without prior approval of the National Office.
CUR always suggests that their registrants purchase low-cost travel insurance when booking their air reservations. Not only will this insurance cover your airfare in the event of cancellation but will also cover the registration cost for the meeting you were to attend. Please ask your travel agent about it.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Phoenix Mesa
1405 S Westwood, Mesa, Arizona 85210 USA
King $140.00 / Double Queen $150.00
Hotel room rates are subject to applicable state and local taxes currently is 14.02%.
View our Hotel, Walk to shopping mall and restaurants - www.marriott.com/PHXFM
Individual cancellation policy - Cancel fee one night's room and tax to be charged at the time of cancellation.
BLOCK RELEASE DATE: Feb. 8, 2016
Stay includes complimentary self parking, wifi, and extended hot continental breakfast (Featuring: Scrambled Eggs and Sausage Patties, Belgium Waffles, Fresh cut Fruit, Whole Fruit, Cereals, Oatmeal, Yogurt, English Muffins, Bagels, Bread, Muffins, Juices, Milks, and Coffee)
Block ID: CUR-SSI
Block cut-off: Monday, Feb. 8, 2016 (Please contact this hotel on or before this date to guarantee rates). Block fills up very quickly.