- First Directory on Undergraduate Research in Chemistry at Undergraduate Institutions (Private Liberal Arts Colleges).
- First Meeting of the Council on Undergraduate Research. Michael Doyle elected president, Jerry Mohrig elected secretary, Brian Andreen elected Executive Secretary.
- First CUR Newsletter.
- CUR adopts first Constitution and By-Laws.
- Council on Undergraduate Research is incorporated.
- Council on Undergraduate Research receives tax exemption status.
- NSF Undergraduate Research Program (URP) terminated.
- CUR submits proposal for RUI to the National Science Board.
- First Councilors admitted from public institutions.
- Spring Hill Conference
- NSF-RUI Program introduced.
- Physics/Astronomy and Biology (CRAB) Councils are added to CUR.
- CUR's First National Conference on Undergraduate Research (Colgate University).
- NIH's AREA Program introduced.
- NSF-College Science Instrumentation Program (CSIP) introduced (precursor to NSF-ILI Program).
- American Chemical Society Award for Research at an Undergraduate Institution instituted with funding from Research Corporation.
- Geology Council is added to CUR.
- American Physical Society Award for Research at an Undergraduate Institution instituted with funding from Research Corporation.
- First National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR) for students at Asheville, NC, cosponsored by CUR.
- NSF-Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program introduced.
- NSF-Instrumentation for Laboratory Improvement (ILI) Program introduced.
- CUR Consulting Service introduced with support from Research Corporation.
- Mathematical and Computer Sciences Council is added to CUR.
- CUR opens itself up to individual membership.
- First colleges and universities respond to the invitations to be CUR Sponsors to facilitate the establishment of CUR's National Office.
- CUR Newsletter expands to four issues per year.
- First summer fellowships awarded through CUR (AIURP) from grants from corporations and corporate foundations.
- At-Large Council is added to CUR
- CUR Individual Membership reaches 1,000.
- Major Grants received from Pew Charitable Trusts and Research Corporation to establish CUR's National Office.
- CUR National Office is opened at University of North Carolina at Asheville.
- CURLS (CUR's Listserv) is introduced.
- John Stevens is appointed first National Executive Officer.
- CUR Notes is introduced.
- National Information Center on Undergraduate Research (NICUR) is formed as a branch of CUR for data acquisition and production of directories with major sponsorship of the Merck Foundation and the Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation.
- First CURSOR Summer Undergraduate Fellowships awarded with private foundation sponsorship.
- First April Dialogue (held at the National Institutes of Health).
- Institutional membership for colleges and universities is introduced.
- Psychology Division is added to CUR.
- CUR Newsletter becomes the CUR Quarterly.
- Speaker's Bureau introduced.
- CUR Individual Membership reaches 2,000.
- Institutional Liaisons established.
- First SURE summer fellowships awarded in biology with NSF-REU funds awarded to CUR.
- Initial Group of CUR Representatives (representatives at graduate institutions) established.
- CUR website is initiated.
- CUR Individual Membership reaches 3,000.
- CUR Institutional Memberships reaches 100.
- First CUR Institute on How to Institutionalize Research.
- CUR Institutional Membership reaches 200.
- Formation of Science Policy Grassroots Network.
- CUR publishes "How to Get Started in Research" with support of Research Corporation.
- First CUR Undergraduate Research Capitol Hill Poster Session.
- Engineering Division is added to CUR.
- Receipt of NSF Course and Curriculum Development Grant in the Biological Sciences "Research Link 2000".
- Receipt of NSF grant from Materials Sciences Division to promote linkages between PUI faculty members and PI's of NSF grants in Materials Sciences.
- K. Elaine Hoagland appointed CUR's second National Executive Officer.
- CUR Archives established at UNCA.
- CUR National Office moves to Washington, DC.
- Comprehensive external review of CUR funded by a grant from Research Corporation.
- NSF Undergraduate Education Division (DUE) Division modifies its ILI, CCD, and UFEP programs into CCLI.
- First Vital Faculty Institute.
- CUR celebrates its twentieth anniversary and honors its founder Brian Andreen.
- CUR establishes a permanent endowment for undergraduate research fellowships (Brian Andreen Undergraduate Research Scholars) in honor of its founder Brian Andreen.
- Council votes to explore expansion of CUR to all fields covered by NSF.
- CUR Proposes an NSF AIRE program for Comprehensive Universities.
- First CUR Fellow Awards bestowed on Mary Allen and Julio Ramirez.
- First CUR Institute on Proposal Writing.
- New "How to" booklet published, entitled How to Develop and Administer Institutional Undergraduate Research Programs.
- CUR Social Sciences Division formed.
- CUR Affinity Groups initiated.
- New Mission Statement approved, widening CUR’s purview to include all academic institutions and all academic fields.
- Online Peer Reviewers' Registry begun.
- Undergraduate Researchers' Grad Schools Registry begun.
- "How to" booklet published: How to Get a Tenure-Track Position at a Predominantly Undergraduate Institution.
- Undergraduate Researchers' Registry fully operational, yielding income for summer fellowships program.
- New Values Statement approved, re-emphasizing core focus on PUIs.
- First CUR-led faculty retreat on a PUI campus.
- New feature developed for CUR Quarterly: "Undergraduate Research Highlights".
- First CUR symposium and new web page on Research Ethics.
- "How To" Booklet published: "How to Mentor Undergraduates".
- Strategic Plan adopted
- Institutional membership reaches 387
- CUR reaches out to Canada
- CUR establishes a task force on diversity
- Presidents Emeritus added to Council
- 25th Anniversary celebrated
- Reinvigorating Undergraduate Research: Successful Models Supported by NSF’s AIRE/RAIRE Programs is published
- Dr. K. Elaine Hoagland retires as National Executive Officer
- Dr. Nancy H. Hensel becomes third Executive Officer
- CUR holds first Mentorship, Collaboration and Undergraduate Research in the Social Sciences and Humanities Institute at Bridgewater State College in Bridgewater, Massachusetts
- CUR Undergraduate Research Program Director's Division formed.
- New Website and Quarterly design.
- CUR holds first Initiating Undergraduate Research Institute at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Institutional Membership reaches 440.
- CUR receives NSF-ATE Grant
- CUR receives NSF-CCLI Grant
- CUR conducts a self study and external review
- CUR chosen for Carnegie Academy of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Program
- CUR Introduces University System memberships
- The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education is the first system member with 14 institutions
- CUR revises governance structure at 2007 business meeting
- CUR offers five regional workshops through the NSF/CCLI grant
- CUR releases its first full-length book, Developing and Sustaining a Research-Supportive Curriculum a Compendium of Successful Practices at the National Press Club
- CUR holds a Congressional Breifing with the American Chemical Society, Undergraduate Research: What it Means for U.S. Competitiveness
- CUR holds first institute for early career faculty, Beginning a Reseach Program in the Natural Sciences at a Predominantly Undergraduate Institution at Davidson College
- Institutional membership reaches 576
- CUR holds first international institute at Malaspina University-College at Nanaimo, British Columbia
- CUR adds Arts and Humanities Division.
- CUR increases advocacy efforts by hiring Washington Partners
- CUR adopts policy for international members
- CUR and NCUR meet to discuss increased collaborative efforts
- CUR introduces enhanced institutional membership
- CUR published Broadening Participation in Undergraduate Research: Fostering Excellence and Enhancing the Impact
- CUR and NCUR vote to unify the two organizations
- CUR receives NSF CCLI Phase II grant
- CUR receives NSF CCLI Phase III grant
Revised: September 21, 2009